Composition in Two Genres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB71y4Tj_6A

My purpose is to spread awareness/generate talk on the subject. With this idea in mind, I chose the genres memes and a political cartoon in my goal to reach teens, young adults, citizens, and policymakers. The reason behind this is that this group of people are more easily influenced and are in running for the future of the United States. Using memes is something that will be remembered for a short time but, it will spread among teens and young adults like wildfire. Getting the message out this way is just as good as any posters and educational videos. Generating talk around the subject is good for the awareness of air pollution but that can’t happen through traditional means. The youth do not see the effects and are less likely to care. The use of a political cartoon is also similar but instead, it is used to spread awareness to adults. Political cartoons have been historically used to get a message across to the masses and that is the plan. Although political cartoons can be funny, they are not memes. The political cartoon will be more focused on people and those affected by air pollution. The use of political cartoons would also spread to students through the classroom. History teachers have been using political cartoons in their lessons from my own experience as far back as elementary school. The knowledge of air pollution through memes will already have been transferred giving students an idea of what air pollution is. This will help them realize air pollution is bad and help them make smart choices in the future. My intended audience is teens, young adults, citizens, and policymakers. My genre of memes is appealing to the teens and young adults because memes are funny and often spread fast among the youth. The teens and young adults are less likely to be involved in politics or political issues after a long day of school or work. Using memes as a form of entertainment to spread awareness will be effective and create a lasting impression. This lasting impression may not get them to care immediately about air pollution, but they will realize its importance in the future. People don’t check their email, but they will always check their Instagram or Facebook where memes are most accessible. My genre of political cartoons will spread among young adults and politicians. Political cartoons have traditionally been used to send a message to citizens or make fun of politicians. Political cartoons have been used in other countries and had a great effect on changing the masses opinion of their corrupt leaders in office. They also can be taught in lessons during history class. Throughout all my years of education in public school each and every year, political cartoons would be included in lessons. Political cartoons unlike memes have a long shelf life and will last for quite some time. The goal of these political cartoons is to drive the audience, to think about their leaders’ actions or lack of. The use of memes is more light-hearted while political cartoons will have a more serious tone but still poke at the issue of air pollution.